Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Show All Answers
The Project is now substantially complete with only final cleaning, swabbing and disinfection of the line left. Final regulatory approval is ongoing, and we expect everything to be in place for a change over to Cold Lake water to happen the week of November 30, 2020.
Due to Regulatory approval requirements, the award of the project was delayed by about three months. Accordingly, project completion schedules including the delivery of some critical components for the Water Treatment Plant (WTP) were affected. To accommodate these unanticipated changes the project schedule previously planned needed extension.
One of the challenges at the Water Treatment Plant is the replacement of an intake screen which should be performed during the summer period and also requires the plant to be shut down for an extended period. The Town of Bonnyville does not have enough storage capacity in its existing reservoir to be shut down for the length of time required, so we cannot be on Cold Lake water until after the screen is replaced.
Completion of the change out of the screen is scheduled for late summer 2020 and as a result we anticipate that the conversion from the existing Bonnyville Water Treatment Plant to the Cold Lake supply line will be in early September 2020.
The total cost of the project is anticipated to be approximately $97,000,000.00.
The Federal and Provincial Government are contributing about 90% of the total project cost, the remaining 10% of the project cost is contributed by the MD and Town of Bonnyville. The project cost contribution break down is as follows:
* UNDRIP – United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
In the Town of Bonnyville you should notice an improved quality of the water, especially in the summer. The new source (Cold Lake) is a significant improvement in quality over Moose Lake where it is common to have Blue-green algae blooms (Cyanobacteria) in the summer. Cold Lake water is treated through membrane filtration versus the Moose lake water which is treated with chemical addition and filter media. There will be an improvement in taste, odour and colour.
With the new extension of the regional water system which will reach the Town of Bonnyville at the furthest end, it is estimated that the travel times for drinking water between the Water Treatment Plant and Bonnyville will be significantly large. To reduce and manage the formation of disinfection by-product (DBPs) associated with higher water age, a secondary disinfection by Chloramination will be performed at the Transfer Station. The communities at the Town of Bonnyville and the MD may experience minor changes in taste & odour due to Chloramination.
(Note: Specific sectors of the public, pet fish owners and dialysis patients need to be aware of Chloramination)
Chloramine disinfection is utilized to disinfect treated water since it will alleviate the formation of disinfection by-products (DBP’s), such as Trihalomethanes.
Trihalomethanes are a by-product of the disinfection process. They are formed when chlorine breaks down organic material in the water. Research showed that the chloramine disinfection process would slow the formation of total Trihalomethanes. Both Alberta Environment and Parks, and EPCOR approved the utilization of the chloramination disinfection method.
Click here for a Chloramination Fact Sheet
The Commission and the Contractor have taken steps to ensure that the liens have all been removed and there should be no effect to the landowner’s property as a result.
A total of 38 residents were provided a connection as part of the compensation provided by the Commission for land easements across their property. This was done where the Commission needed space to install the transmission line, or a working space was needed for the Contractor.
No additional direct connections from the transmission line are being provided, Alberta Environment has restricted the number of connections that are allowed on the Transmission line.
If you were not provided one as part of compensation for a land easement, you will not be able to connect. Connections are only provided where the Commission needed a land easement.
Chloramines are formed when ammonia is added to chlorinated water. Chlorine kills bacteria, viruses and other organisms that could cause serious waterborne illnesses and death. A small amount of ammonia is then added to maintain a disinfectant residual and stop the formation of disinfection by-products. The chloramine disinfection process has been used by water utilities for almost 90 years. City of Edmonton, EPCOR Water Services Inc. uses chloramine for disinfecting the treated water and provides regional treated water supply to several communities via regional water lines.
Trihalomethanes present problems over a long period of time. Long term exposure to levels of Trihalomethanes that exceed the maximum contaminant level is a health concern (2014 Canadian Drinking Water Quality Guidelines for TTHM limits is 0.1mg/L or 100ug/L).
The levels of Trihalomethanes fluctuate seasonally. By utilizing the chloraminated regional water system, we are able to keep the levels of Trihalomethanes low.
Yes – Chloraminated water is safe for drinking, bathing, cooking, gardening and other household tasks. Chloramines must be removed before using water in fish tanks. Products for chloramine removal are available through aquarium supply stores. As with chlorine, the chloramines should be removed from the water when used in kidney dialysis machines. Patients undergoing dialysis should check with their doctors about the dialysis filtering method being used.
Chloraminated water is safe for use for both indoor and outdoor plants.
Yes – The regional water is considered as approximately neutral: neither aggressive or corrosive, so that it will not have elevated corrosion on service lines made of plastic, copper or any other metals: service lines wear out with age and may require replacement due to long serviced life, it won’t be from corrosive water.
The total cost of the project is now anticipated to cost approximately $94,000,000. The Federal and Provincial Government originally agreed to pay about 90% of the original estimated project cost of $83,500,000, the remaining 10% of the project cost is contributed by the M.D. and Town of Bonnyville.
The Provincial Government has decided that it will only contribute 50% 0f the cost overruns on the project to a maximum of $5,153,512.00. There is no additional Federal funding for the additional costs.
The M.D. and Town will pick up the other 50% and any additional overages on an 80% Town / 20% M.D. basis.
The project cost contributions are now broken down as follows:
Federal and Provincial Grants
Federal Government for Cold Lake First Nations - $3,234,161
Provincial Government for Frog Lake First Nations - $7,494,896
Provincial Water for Life Grant - $38,013,116
Federal – Canada Water/Wastewater Fund - $32,434,200
Total Grant Amount $81,176,373 (86.74%)
Municipal District of Bonnyville - $2,456,859 (2.63%)
Town of Bonnyville - $9,951,519 (10.63%)
Grand Total $93,584,751