Come out to the Bonnyville Fire Department at 4407 50 Ave from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. and visit Sparky and check out the fire prevention and fire safety demonstrations. Enjoy free hamburgers, hotdogs and ice cream. There will be door prizes and giveaways throughout the night.
DON’T WAIT - CHECK THE DATE! REPLACE SMOKE ALARMS EVERY 10 YEARS
• Install smoke alarms in every sleeping room and outside each separate sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the home.
• Large homes may need extra smoke alarms.
• It is best to use interconnected smoke alarms. When one sounds they all sound.
• Test all smoke alarms at least once a month. Press the test button to ensure the alarm is working.
• There are two kinds of alarms. Ionization smoke alarms are quicker to warn about flaming fires. Photoelectric alarms are quicker to warn about smouldering fires. It is best to use both types of alarms in the home.
• A smoke alarm should be on the ceiling or high on the wall. Keep smoke alarms away from the kitchen to reduce false alarms. They should be at least 3 meters from the stove.
• People who are hard of hearing or deaf can use special alarms. These alarms have strobe lights and bed shakers.
• Smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years from the manufacturer’s date.