Seasonal Docks, Boat Lifts, and Swim Platforms

Effective April 1, 2021, the Alberta Government introduced a new standard for recreational mooring structures and temporary seasonal docks.

The Disturbance Standard for personal recreational purposes creates a general permission for most waterfront, semi-waterfront, and municipal dock owners while eliminating the need to apply for provincial authorization if abiding by the standards. The standard can be found here

Many lakeshore properties in the Municipal District of Bonnyville are separated from the water by a municipally owned Environmental Reserve.  These reserves are left in their natural state to protect the lake and shore, and to provide public access to the water.  

This means that residents who access their seasonal docks, boat lifts, and swim platforms through Municipal land must obtain consent from the M.D. Please click here for the Municipal Seasonal Dock Access Application. Completed forms can be emailed to If you have questions, please call the Planning & Development Department at 780-826-3171

The Municipal District of Bonnyville cannot advise individuals on what the province will require or approve. If you have questions regarding Provincial standards, please call Alberta Environment and Parks at 780-623-5240 or visit the AEP website.