Permits and Applications
Changes in Subdivision and Development Permit Processes
Due to COVID-19, Alberta Municipal Affairs have issued a Ministerial Order 022/20 dated March 31, 2020. The order extends a number of timelines in Part 17 (Planning and Development) of the Municipal Government Act.
The most notable changes are:
- Timeline to deem an application complete has changed from 20 days from receipt of application to now October 1, 2020
- Timeline to appeal a subdivision approval decision has changed from 14 days to now Oct. 1, 2020
- Timeline to deem complete has changed from 20 days from receipt of application to now Oct. 1, 2020
- Timeline to appeal a development permit approval has changed from 21 days after the date of notice to now Oct. 1, 2020
SDAB, MGB and Court of Appeals
- Timeline to hold an appeal has been extended from 14 days for a subdivision approval and 21 days for a development approval to now Oct. 1, 2020
- The timeline for any decisions on a current open appeal has been extended until Oct. 1, 2020
While the municipality’s development authority anticipates a revision to the above-mentioned Ministerial Order, these guidelines will be followed as of March 31, 2020. Therefore, the Municipal District of Bonnyville will not be processing or issuing any subdivision applications or development permits, effective immediately.
It is important to note that COVID-19 is a situation that is rapidly evolving, and changes happen quickly. To keep up to date on the situation, visit www.alberta.ca/covid19.
Questions and concerns can be directed to:
Manager of Planning & Development – 780-826-3171
The Municipal District of Bonnyville requires permits to initiate developments, build, and conduct electrical, plumbing, gas, or private sewage systems. To develop a better understanding of how and why the municipal district requires permits, please download and view our brochure.
PLEASE NOTE: No new residential building permits will be issued by the municipality until builders acquire a New Home Warranty. As of February 1, 2014, every new home built in Alberta will require a New Home Warranty under Alberta's New Home Buyer Protection Act. Read FAQs (PDF) about this new act from Municipal Affairs.
All six of the municipal district permit application forms are listed below. These forms are in PDF format and include interactive fields. To use the interactive fields, simply click the appropriate form, fill in the required fields, and then print.
Please note that these forms cannot be saved to your computer. They are only fill and print. Once printed, sign, attach the appropriate payment and mail or deliver to: Municipal District of Bonnyville Administration Office
4905 50th Avenue
Bonnyville, AB T9N 2J7
If you are having problems utilizing these online applications, please contact the municipal district office at 780-826-3171.